Monday, February 18, 2013

Why Portion Control Doesn't Work

I just had a revelation after tracking my food on Sparkpeople for almost 2 weeks. My Dr. kept telling me all I needed was portion control. From doing the food tracking I realized there is nothing wrong with my portions. The problem is that I'm eating too many foods with no nutrition. So at the end of the day my salt intake was too high and my intake of calcium, potassium and magnesium was way too low. And potassium is one of the things that helps regulate blood pressure.  So I made a list of all the best foods for potassium and I need to stuff more of those into my diet to replace the empty calorie foods. I like everything on the 'best potassium' list, I just have to remember to buy things like yams. Mushrooms are great so I'm thinking more mushrooms on my pizza and mushroom and spinach omelets.

Once again it all boils down to eating more fruits and veggies.
Best Potassium: dried fruits and nuts, green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, wheat germ, bran, yams, bananas, oranges.
Good Potassium: Many other fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, legumes, and poultry

I also found out miso is a good source of Zinc. So in this cold and flu season, have yourself some miso soup or black eyed peas.

No comments: